Every SharePoint specialist is doing this process when deploy SP solution package on production server, so I write this article to keep it as a reference for me and share it with others to help and get feedback/ides for best practices.
In my Scenario, I have 2 WSP files:
- NewSolutionPack.wsp (to add it as first time)
- UpdateSolutionPack.wsp (to update an exist WSP file)
- Target web application (http://sps:1)
The steps of deployment are easy:
1. Add solution to Farm Solutions
2. Deploy your solution to a specific web application or to all web applications
3. In case of exists solution, you will upgrade the solution using one of the following options:
a. Retract and delete the old solution, then add and deploy the new one
b. Or, upgrade the existing solution using upgrade method (recommended).
Read the rest of this entry »